I wanted to try out iOS development on XCode 4 but I don’t own a Mac. I am a hardcore PC user and there is a way to run Mac OS X Snow Leopard on PCs so I tried it out. Mac OS X 10.6.2 worked fine after following full detailed tutorials around the internet (RedmondPie and LifeHacker have really good ones) but I needed Mac OS X 10.6.6 because it has the App Store and support for XCode 4. There is a combo update available on the official Apple site (and in software update inside Snow Leopard) that allows to update Mac OS X 10.6.2 from Mac OS X 10.6.6 so I updated but the Mac never booted again.
After few hours of tryout, I was able to run Mac OSX 10.6.6 in VMWare on Windows 7 with fully working App Store and XCode 4. Here is the step by step tutorial to install Mac OS X 10.6.6 in VMWare on Windows 7.
1) Click here to Download a zip file that contains “Snow Leopard.vmdk” That is a pre-made virtual hard disk for VMWare and “darwin_snow.iso” that helps to setup.
2) You need a modified Mac OSX 10.6.6 .iso by Hazard. It is being distributed over the torrents by the name of “SL_10.6.6i_by_Hazard.iso”.
3) Get VMWare workstation and install it.
4) Run VMWare workstation and open “Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmx” from the downloaded files in the step 1.
5) Click on “Edit Virtual Machine Settings”. Under Hardware tab select “CD/DVD (IDE)” and under “Use ISO image file” browse for the “darwin_snow.iso” That you downloaded in the step 1. Start the Virtual Machine.
6) Following screen will appear.
Right click on the CD/DVD icon at the bottom right of the window and click settings. Here under “Use ISO image file” browse for SL_10.6.6i_by_Hazard.iso that you downloaded in the step 2. Press ‘C’ to boot DVD.
After few moments you will see the following screen.
Proceed with the installation procedure, select the language and click the next arrow button.
7) When the following screen appears. If the disk drive doesn’t appear under “Select the disk where you want to Install Mac OSX”, go to utilities > disk utilities and erase the disk.
Now Click the customize button. and following screen will appear.
Here check the following options:
- Under Chameleon_Boot_Loaders select the latest Chameleon boot loader.
- Under Chameleon_options select Ethernet_builtin and Graphics_Enabler.
- Check Kernel.
- Under Patches, select USBFix.
Click OK and then Install. Wait while Mac OS X 10.6.6 Installs.
8) When the installation is done, stop the Virtual Machine and set the iso image to Darwin_Snow.iso and start the Virtual Machine again.
9) VM boots up showing the following screen.
Press h to force hard drive boot and you should be able to run Mac OS X 10.6.6.
If it Mac OS X doesn’t boot up or VMWare give’s an error, enable ACE features (The option is available under the VM settings link button.
10) The last step is to install VMWare tools. Installing VMWare tools enables some drivers that help the guest operating system to use shared folder options and graphic adapters etc. Do do this, right click on the CD/DVD icon at the bottom right in VMWare window (make sure you are not in full screen mode) and click settings. In Use ISO image file browse for darwin_snow.iso that you downloaded in step 1.
11) Right click on the CD/DVD icon at the bottom right corner and click connect if it’s not connected.
You will see the VMWare tools icon on the desktop. Double click it to install VMWare tools. Restart if required and enjoy your hackintosh.